Does Blue Cross Blue Shield Cover Couples Counseling?
Typically, insurance companies are not required to cover couples counseling. Blue Cross Blue Shield couples counseling may depend on your specific plan and provider in Tennessee.
Jump to Section
- Does Blue Cross Blue Shield Cover Couples Counseling?
- How to Verify Blue Cross Blue Shield Couples Therapy Coverage
- What is Couples Counseling?
- How To Find In-Network BCBS Couples Counseling Near Me?
- How Much Does Couples Therapy Cost Without Insurance?
- Will Blue Cross Blue Shield Cover Online Couples Counseling?
How to Verify Blue Cross Blue Shield Couples Therapy Coverage
Athena Care is in-network with most major insurance plans. Find out more about your insurance coverage by calling your insurance company or by contacting us below. One of our care coordinators can help you navigate your insurance coverage to get the care you need.
What is Couples Counseling?
Couples counseling is a type of psychotherapy that can aid in the improvement of your relationship with your partner. Suppose you’re experiencing marital or relationship issues or want to enhance your bond. In that case, couples counseling may be able to help rebuild your connection and strengthen the relationship.1
There are many different types of couples counseling, including marriage therapy and the following therapy treatment and techniques:2
- Reflective Listening
- Emotion-focused therapy (EFT)
- Narrative therapy
- Solution-focused therapy
- Gottman method
- Imago relationship therapy
How Does Couples Therapy Work?
A therapist observes a couple’s relationship and gives them feedback on their collective and individual strengths and weaknesses. They may also serve as an impartial mediator, advising both parties. As a result, couples counseling can help a couple learn more effective methods to engage, communicate, and explore ways to express their love and support for each other even when in dispute.
When couples disagree, it is beneficial to focus on better communication instead of focusing on fighting less. Listen actively and attentively to what your partner has to say. It might be difficult to remain impartial in the heat of the moment, but learning to discuss thoughts and feelings is a vital foundation for a stronger relationship. Counseling can assist in the establishment of this foundation using the following steps:3
- Know your issues: Identify reoccurring patterns in your disputes.
- Concentrate on the emotional issues: Consider the current circumstance and its underlying reason when a disagreement emerges without bringing in any irrelevant material that could escalate the conflict.
- Look for areas where you can reach a healthy agreement:Identifying a point of understanding in the middle of an argument can be beneficial and constructive.
- Step into your partner’s shoes: Examine your values, opinions, beliefs, and other essential aspects of your personality. Where do they overlap, and where do they diverge from your partner’s? Different values may be the root of your disagreement.
The following are some of the advantages of couples counseling:
- Improving communication skills
- Identifying the core causes of significant points of conflict (i.e., life transitions, financial burden)
- Fostering better understanding
- Encouraging acceptance of each other
- Increasing shared support
- Restoring emotional and physical intimacy
- Reducing detachment and avoidance
- Rebuilding trust
- Creating a safe environment centered around healing
Getting closer to your partner is a common goal in couples counseling. You want to feel connected to your partner on several levels. Emotional intimacy is one of the most crucial ways to feel connected to your spouse, but opening up to someone and being vulnerable can be frightening. Working on these issues in couples counseling can be beneficial.4
Does Couples Counseling Work?
While couples counseling may not be helpful for every couple in every situation, it is highly effective for many of them. According to the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, 97.1% of clients questioned thought they received the assistance they required. In addition, upwards of 80% of respondents rated couples counseling as having a positive influence.5
According to the American Psychological Association, couples counseling as it is currently practiced—using Emotionally-Focused Therapy (EFT)—is now around 75% effective.6
On the other hand, success can only be achieved if both parties put in the work. Your relationship will have a much better foundation to grow on if you work through the challenges together with a counselor’s help.
How To Find Marriage or Couples Counseling Near Me That Take BCBS Insurance
Athena Care accepts Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance, and gaining access to a counseling clinic in Tennessee has never been easier.
Open Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Athena Care has multiple locations throughout Tennessee, and a care coordinator is just a call away. Our caring team can assist you with any questions or concerns, including Blue Cross couples counseling information.
When searching for psychologists or clinicians for couples counseling, it’s important to keep the following in mind:
- Education, training, license, and years of experience
- Specialties and services offered
- Treatment methods and philosophies
- Insurance companies they work with
- Office hours
- Session length
- Ask lots of questions
Here, you’ll find a list of practitioners organized by city and information about their backgrounds and specialties.
Finding a Couples or Marriage Counselor Outside of Tennessee
Finding a marriage counselor or couples therapist in your area that accepts Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) insurance is achievable with the right resources. Let’s start with how you can use search engines to find the help you need. By using specific keywords such as “marriage counseling near me blue cross blue shield” or “couples therapy near me blue cross blue shield”, search engines will provide you with relevant results.
If you’re looking for broader information on in-network therapists, the keyword “couples therapy near me that takes insurance” might be helpful. This search will provide you with a list of therapists who accept various insurance providers, including BCBS. Another useful keyword could be “couples counseling near me blue cross blue shield”. This search specifically targets BCBS-affiliated couples counseling services in your local area.
Athena Care offers a full-spectrum of mental and behavioral health services to those in Tennessee.
We have qualified therapists and accept many of the big name insurance providers. Our locations are open Monday-Friday from 7am to 6pm. Learn more below:
How Much Does Couples Therapy Cost Without Insurance?
The cost of couples therapy varies depending on the clinician’s skill level, location, and training.
Therapists who are well-known and regarded usually charge more. Residents of high-income or high-cost-of-living areas might expect to pay higher rates.7
Most couples pay $75-$200 per hour without insurance. Some therapists charge on a sliding scale based on income or offer savings if you purchase multiple sessions. Couples counseling without insurance can quickly add up because most couples see their therapist weekly.
Will Blue Cross Blue Shield Cover Online Couples Counseling?
Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) does cover typically online therapy, however, insurance companies are not required to cover couples counseling. Coverage for virtual visits for Blue Cross Blue Shield couples counseling depends on your specific plan and provider in Tennessee.
- Gupta, Sanjana. Medically reviewed by Snyder, Carly MD, 2021. “What is Couples Therapy?” https://www.verywellmind.com/couples-therapy-definition-types-techniques-and-efficacy-5191137
- Rice, Meaghan PsyD., LPC. Clinically Reviewed by Ertel, Ashley LCSW, BCD., 2021, “Couples Therapy Techniques: Therapy Approaches & Exercises.” https://www.talkspace.com/blog/couples-therapy-techniques/
- Porter, Robert, Medically Reviewed By Brownridge, Kimberly L, LPC, NCC, BCPC Counsel The Mind, LLC, 2022. “How Do Couple Therapy Sessions Work?” https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/therapy/how-does-couples-therapy-work/
- Dean, Mary Elizabeth, Medically Reviewed By Devlin, Karen LPC, 2022. “A Quick Guide To Couples Counseling Techniques.” https://www.regain.us/advice/counseling/a-quick-guide-to-couples-counseling-techniques/?utm_source=AdWords&utm_medium=Search_PPC_c&utm_term=_&utm_content=74812196062&network=g&placement=&target=&matchtype=&utm_campaign=6464748467&ad_type=text&adposition=&
- Saxena, Jessica, Medically Reviewed By Aaron Horn, LMFT, 2022. “Can Counseling Or Therapy Help Unhappy Couples?” https://www.betterhelp.com/advice/counseling/does-couple-counseling-work-for-unhappy-couples/
- Grande, Dianne, Ph. D. “Couples Therapy: Does It Really Work?” Psychology Today, Sussex Publishers, LLC, 6 Dec. 2017, www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/in-it-together/201712/couples-therapy-does-it-really-work.
- FAQs, By Therapy. “Does Insurance Cover Couples Therapy?” GoodTherapy.Org Therapy Blog, GoodTherapy, LLC, 21 Mar. 2019, www.goodtherapy.org/blog/faq/does-insurance-cover-couples-therapy.
If you suspect that you or someone you love suffers from mental health disorders, contact Athena Care today.
One of our friendly associates will help you get the help you need. Take this first step to feel better and take control.