Yes, United Healthcare (UHC) insurance may cover testing, therapy, and treatments depending on your insurance plan’s benefits and individual needs.
How to Verify United Healthcare Mental Health Benefits
Athena Care is in-network with most major insurance plans. The quickest and easiest way to find out if United Healthcare benefits cover your mental and behavioral health services is to fill in our free and confidential online insurance verification form.
Avoid the hassles, confusion, and wait times that come with contacting your insurance provider for health insurance coverage information and let us do it for you. We have years of experience working with insurance providers in the mental and behavioral health space. All information provided or discussed is kept confidential. After filling out the form, a care coordinator will go over your policy and thoroughly explain your options.
Jump to Section
- How to Verify United Healthcare Mental Health Benefits
- Which Mental Health Services Are Covered by United Healthcare?
- Which Mental Health Disorders Are Covered by United Healthcare?
- How To Find Mental Health Services Near Me in Tennessee
- About United Healthcare Plans & Behavioral Health Coverage
- Does United Healthcare Cover Online Therapy?
- How Much Do Mental Health Services & Testing Cost?
- Do I Need a Referral To Use My United Healthcare Coverage?
Which Mental Health Services Are Covered by United Healthcare?
UHC mental health coverage encompasses a variety of programs and resources for mental and behavioral health. The following is a partial list of services that your United Healthcare mental health benefits may cover:
- Mental Health Testing, Assessments & Evaluations
- ADHD Testing & Treatment
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Emotional Support by Phone or Mobile App
- Family Counseling
- Medical Management Services & Medications
- Virtual Visits
Which Mental Health Disorders Are Covered by United Healthcare?
Mental and behavioral health conditions that your United Healthcare mental health coverage may cover include:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Peripartum Depression3
- Substance Use Disorders
How To Find Mental Health Services Near Me in Tennessee
Finding mental health services near you in Tennessee has never been easier with Athena Care. A care coordinator at one of our various Tennessee locations, is there to help.
Consider the following factors when selecting a mental healthcare provider:
- Education, training, license, and years of experience
- Specialties and services offered
- Treatment methods and philosophies
- Which insurance companies they work with, as well as their office hours, prices, and session length
Furthermore, don’t hesitate to ask lots of questions.
Athena Care mental health clinics are open Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. You’ll find a list of practitioners by city, along with their background and specialties here.
About United Healthcare Plans & Behavioral Health Coverage
Founded in 1977, United Healthcare has since grown by providing a complete range of consumer-oriented health benefit plans and services to more than 26.5 million clients nationwide. This includes United Healthcare behavioral health coverage, which encompasses mental health and substance abuse therapy, emphasizing a person’s actions and habits.
As of 2021, statistics state that you’ll have access to an extensive provider network with over 1.44 million physicians and care staff, as well as 6,500 hospitals and care facilities around the country5.
A division of UnitedHealth Group, the largest single carrier in the United States6, United Healthcare offers a variety of plans in Tennessee7 which include individual and family plans, employee plans, as well as government and state funded options as well. United Healthcare offers several types of insurance:
- Medicaid: a federal and state-funded program that assists persons with low income and resources with healthcare costs. Medicaid also provides services not covered by Medicare, such as nursing home care and personal care.
- Medicare: a health insurance program in the United States for adults over 65 and those receiving Social Security disability benefits.
- Short-Term Health Insurance: A temporary medical insurance plan8 that provides the flexibility you need for life’s transitions. You can choose your length of coverage (up to 12 months in Tennessee). United Healthcare offers multiple short-term insurance plans, including:
- Basic: A just-in-case plan with max out-of-pocket costs of $10,000.
- Budget Benefits: Budget focused with discount prescription cards and discounts on large single payments
- Prescription Plus: $50 co-pay visits
- Balanced Cost & Coverage: Pay 20% of most covered costs after deductible
- Urgent Care & More: Pay $0 for a majority of covered expenses after deductible, urgent care visits are $50 co-pay, and some prescriptions cost $25
- Preventative Care & More: A predetermined amount of $50 co-pay visits to the doctor’s office, $50 co-pay urgent care visits, and some prescriptions cost $25
- TriTerm Medical Insurance: Preventive care, doctor visits, and medications are all covered by this short-term health insurance that covers you up to almost 36 months. There are four different plans to choose from with varying deductibles:
- Co-Pay Select: 30% is what you pay after deductible
- Plan 80: 20% is what you pay after deductible
- Plan 100: 0% is what you pay after deductible
- Value: 30 – 50% is what you pay after deductible
- Health ProtectorGuard Fixed Indemnity Insurance: With increasing benefits over time, you’ll pay cash for qualifying, covered medical services. There are no deductibles or co-pays, and benefits are paid regardless of whether or not you have other insurance. There are three different levels of coverage in addition to a select, preferred, or premier plan
Does United Healthcare Cover Online Therapy?
Several online therapy programs are offered, including Telehealth Therapy and Talkspace.
The specifics of your United Healthcare mental health benefits will determine the extent of your coverage.
How Much Do Mental Health Services & Testing Cost?
Costs can vary depending on your specific United Healthcare mental health coverage and personalized treatment needs. The following are average costs for therapy, though they may vary by location and other variables and may not reflect the actual cost of treatment or what you may actually pay.
For example, In the United States, the typical cost of psychotherapy ranges from $100 to $2009 a session, dependent upon the state and the length of the session. With health insurance, you’ll most likely have a co-pay that can range from a few dollars to $50 or more a session.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) sessions are typically 45+ minutes long and cost between $100 and $200 per session, while Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) usually consists of a weekly individual therapy session, a weekly group therapy session, and weekly phone conversations. DBT costs vary depending on the type of services rendered.
Such factors, like whether the therapist is in-network or out of network, can influence this out-of-pocket cost.
Even with insurance, you will normally have to pay some or all of your medical expenditures until your total medical expenses for the year reach the deductible. Depending on your plan, you may be required to pay a co-pay or coinsurance for each treatment.
Some therapists will work with patients on a sliding scale for those who do not present insurance. If you find a therapist who offers a sliding scale payment plan, they will most likely base the cost of your sessions on your income. This sliding scale can also vary from therapist to therapist.
Do I Need a Referral To Use My United Healthcare Coverage?
No, you do not need a referral with United Healthcare insurance for outpatient mental health services.
- “Behavioral Health Resources.” United Healthcare, 2022, https://www.uhcprovider.com/en/resource-library/behavioral-health-resources.html
- “Understanding Mental Health.” United Healthcare Services, Inc., 2022, https://www.uhc.com/health-and-wellness/mental-health
- “Get Maternity Support, 24/7.” United Healthcare Services, Inc., 2022, https://www.uhc.com/health-and-wellness/health-topics/pregnancy/maternity-support
- “Health ProtectorGuard.” United Healthcare Services, Inc., 2021, https://www.uhone.com/api/supplysystem/?FileName=46034B-G202108.pdf
- “Find United Healthcare doctors and providers.” United Healthcare Services, Inc., 2022, https://www.uhc.com/find-a-doctor.
- “Largest Health Insurance Companies of 2022.” ValuePenguin, 2022. https://www.valuepenguin.com/largest-health-insurance-companies
- “Tennessee Health Insurance Options.” United Healthcare Services, Inc., 2022, https://www.uhc.com/health-insurance-plans/tennessee
- “Let’s find the right short-term health insurance plan for you.” United Healthcare Services, Inc., 2021, https://www.uhone.com/health-insurance/short-term-health-insurance
- Lauretta, Ashley. “How Much Does Therapy Cost?” edited by Alena Hall, Forbes Health, 2021, https://www.forbes.com/health/mind/how-much-does-therapy-cost/
If you suspect that you or someone you love suffers from mental health disorders, contact Athena Care today.
One of our friendly associates will help you get the help you need. Take this first step to feel better and take control.